For the love of the game!

The Douglas Dutchers Base Ball club was formed in order to provide historic value to the Douglas and Saugatuck communities. It was established to promote historical education for the community through the participation in an 1860 vintage setting. It has promoted increased interest in - not only, sporting events of that era and the beginnings of baseball in America - but, a general knowledge of other aspects of that era.

The field is significant in it’s own right, as sporting events have taken place on Beery Field as far back as 1860. The field has also received a WPA (Works Progress Administration) grant in 1935 under the Franklin D. Roosevelt Administration. The grant was obtained to rebuild the ball field as a recreational and educational site to be used for and by the community.

Youth of the community benefit from the theatrical and historical value of having a vintage baseball team in their community. Teachers enjoy having the children watch the games and report back to the class the historical value of the matches, and how, not only the game, but the atmosphere of the events compared to the modern day. The elderly find the ‘throwback’ games therapeutic to watch, as nursing homes in the area bring patients to the matches.

Our operation is the hard work of many devoted persons - whether contributors or persons on the team or the front office.

Call (269) 857-7055 to make a contribution. We are looking for grants and contributions to keep our club going. We also sponsor fundraising events to benefit the club.

News & Events

Former Dutcher Remembered for Positive Attitude

posted Fri August 16, 2019

The Douglas Dutchers were saddened to hear of the passing of a former ballist, George “Speedy” Randall-Saldivar.  Speedy was with the club for only a few short years but will always be remembered for his vibrant spirit, beaming smile, upbeat attitude, and of course his ability to run like the wind. His young life was cut short but he will always live on in the hearts of his fellow Dutcher teammates and friends. We know that he continues to run fast and free.

Commercial Record Celebrates 150 Years in Business!

posted Fri October 19, 2018

The Douglas Dutchers extend a hearty “Hurrah” to The Commercial Record newspaper as they celebrate 150 years in operation.  The Commercial Record is Allegan County’s oldest newspaper in continuous publication (not counting two weeks off in 1886), through five different names and 20 different owners.  The Village (now City) of Saugatuck was incorporated in 1868, the same year The Commercial Record was founded. The Dutchers hope they will be around for many more years to come!

read past news

Next Event: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 9:00 am - The Ohio Cup Festival -